Sunday, March 11, 2007

Novel Recommendations

Calliope just finished Tishimongo Blues by Elmore Leonard. She liked the dialog, and thought the writing was fast-paced and fun, but didn't think much of the characterizations. In particular, the women seemed to have no distinctive characters at all.

Blinky is about two thirds of the way through A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. He highly recommends it.

So we Bears were wondering what novels you've been reading. And if you had any novels you recommended?

OK Bye
Noel "Snowflake" Chompsky

2 people left us caaaandy:

Blogger allison said...

I just finished an Anita Blake novel Incubus Dreams. I keep thinking that I am not going to read the next one in the series, but somehow I always seem to pick them up at the library. Anyway, if you like lots of angsty sex with a touch of S&M and very little plot of any substance, then it will do nicely. Although considering how much sex there is, I found it remarkably tame.

I have been reading and enjoying the Flashman series lately. The series is written as a series of memoirs as penned by an arrogant, cowardly, bullying womanizer who just manages to find himself in the thick of most of the significant military and political events of the 19th century. Although some of the attitudes and opinions that Flash himself expresses are decidedly polictically incorrect (particularly regarding women and people of colour), the history is well-researched and fascinatingly presented and the character of Flashman himself proves to be irresistable. You might want to check it out.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Dogeared said...

I like the David Hewson books (the Peroni and Costa mysteries). I wasn't so enamoured with "The Lizard's Bite", but "The Sacred Cut" was good, as was "The Villa Of Mysteries". They feature a detective and a cop in Rome.

Also, I just finished "Restless" by William Boyd, about a Russian-English woman who becomes a spy and later needs her daughter's help (though not in a mission).

My favourite books include "The Dante Club" (Matthew Pearl), and then "A Year In The Merde" and "Merde Actually" by Stephen Clarke. Of course, I always will recommend "If This Is A Man" by Primo Levi (in America it's called "Survival in Auschwitz" I think). I don't usually mention his other books, but I think you would appreciate "The Periodic Table" by Levi too. Each chapter is named after a chemical element, and either features the chemical element itself, or the properties of the element (such as the student Levi met who installed an iron spirit in his soul). When I was in a bookshop the other day, they had a table with "cult classics" on, and "The Periodic Table" was there - with a sticker on with "The Best Science Book Ever Written" or something on, according to the London Royal Observatory.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home